A Common Core Teacher's Toolbox!

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Nonfiction Text Features Scavenger Hunt Freebie!

I mentioned before that since the Common Core standards have such a huge focus on the students reading informational texts, that I've been working on some resources to help my students with reading non fiction. I recently created a Scavenger Hunt that is meant to be used before the students read a nonfiction piece of text. It focuses on having the student's take the time to notice the nonfiction text features found in the text. Many times students try to rush through and informational piece because they decide it's boring. They tend to miss all the text features (charts,graphs, diagrams, etc) that can help them gain a better understanding of the text. This scavenger hunt will cause them to have to pay attention to all of the text features before they begin reading. I have hopes that in using this scavenger hunt now, that in the future my students will automatically take notice of a the nonfiction text features that can help them comprehend what they are reading.  This works particularly well with sections from the science and social studies textbooks!  I'm also working on piece for them to use during and after reading nonfiction pieces that I will post soon. I hope you find this scavenger hunt helpful for your students as you incorporate more informational texts into your teaching! You can download it here:



No comments:

Post a Comment